Tuesday, June 7, 2011

50 Years of Ministry

TUCKER TALK
This coming Sunday, June 12, I will celebrate the 50th anniversary of my ordination into the Christian ministry. I recently read the following which seems appropriate as I reach this milestone in my life.
A Church goer wrote a letter to the editor of a newspaper and complained that it mde no sense to go to church every Sunday, "I've gone for 30 years now," he wrote, "and in all that time I have heard something like 3,000 sermons. But for the life of me, I can't remember a single one of them. So, I think I'm wasting my time and the pastors are wasting their time."

This started a real controversyin the "Letters to the Editor" column, much to the delight of the editor. It went on for weeks until someone wrote this clincher.

"I've been married for 30 years now. In that time my wife hs cooked some 32,000 meals. But, for the life of me, I cannot recall the entire menu for a single one of those meals. But I do know this. They all nourished me and gave me the strength I needed to do my work. If my wife had not given me these meals, I would by physically dead today. Likewise, if I had not gone to church for nourishment, I would be spiritually dead today."

I hope you will join me this Sunday for another one of 3000 sermons.

See you in church
Pastor Hal Tucker

No comments:

Post a Comment